New Hamburg was originally a village named Cassel. As German settlers arrived in the mid-19th century, they renamed it New Hamburg. The village flourished when mills were built along the Nith River. Over time the village grew and New Hamburg expanded to include commercial and industrial industries. To commemorate the people who helped found, settle and grow New Hamburg in to the town it is today, we’ve listed some of our favorite heritage properties that once belonged to these settlers.
The Merner House (Built in 1875)
274 Huron St, New Hamburg, ON, N3A 1J5
The house of Samuel Merner, a pioneer and major businessman. He opened a blacksmith shop that expanded to make wagons and carriages. After selling the business, he established a foundry.
William J Scott House (built in 1858)
3332 Bleams Rd, New Hamburg, ON N3A 3G6
William James Scott was a one of the founding pioneers of New Hamburg. He established a sawmill and gristmill along the Nith River.
The Waterlot (Built in 1847)
17 Huron Street, New Hamburg, ON, N3A 1K1
Another residence of William James Scott, it’s now converted to a restaurant and inn
The John Christner House (Built in 1379)
1379 Christner Road, New Hamburg, ON, N3A 3K7
The house of John Christner, one of the earliest pioneers who settled in what became New Hamburg
The Hostetler House (Built in 1860)
1145 Christner Road, New Hamburg, ON, N3A 3K7
The home of Moses Hostetler a pioneer who helped establish one of the first schools for the community
The Henry Killer Farmstead (Built in 1860)
2541 Nafziger RdNew Hamburg, ON N3A 3H1
The farmstead home of Henry Killer a pioneer from Hessen Germany. It’s one of the most well preserve farmsteads in New Hamberg